We are happy to reveal the five finalists in the From Problem to Profit competition!
From Problem to Profit is an initiative that invites the next generation to find solutions to this generation’s most pressing maritime issues. Nor-Shipping is looking to engage with young people from within and without the maritime industry – including students at universities and colleges, entrepreneurs, those from the tech, finance and communications sector, and more – to find routes to a more sustainable shipping future. We want young talents to tackle industry ‘pain points’, based on the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals, and that is what the finalist have done.
– Isabel Welten and Astrid Sonneveld: Goodshipping Program
– Marianne Steinberg and Felix Condry: Adaptable setup of autonomous ships
– Gøril Tjetland: How can a ship be used to harvest energy?
– Rupa Naik: Ship based integrated garbage and sewage treatment plant
– Dig Vijay Singh and Daniele Borri: Clean drinking water to milions from ships
The finalists are invited to pich their project at the Ocean Opportunity Pitch Sessions on Friday 2 June in front of a jury and audience of top executives and investors. The session will take place on the stage in the Disruptive Room in Hall A from 11:00-12:00.Each finalist has a 7 minutes pitch. One of the prizes is a cash prize of NOK 100.000.
The Ocean Industry Pitch Sessions will be moderated by Anita Krohn Traaseth, CEO, Innovation Norway.
The jury will consist of Bjørn Haugland, DNV GL, Hedda Felin, Statoil, Birgit Liodden, Nor-Shipping, Paul Holthus, World Ocean Council, Danae Bezantakou, Young Global Leader Greece, Wilhelmsen and Kongsberg.
The jury will choose the winner based on the criteria below:
– Ideas and existing solutions enabling shipping to improve its role as problem-solver for the world
• Needs to contribute towards one or several SDGs
• Stimulate new thinking on how ships/floating installations and the existing value chain can be challenged
• New ideas that can be tomorrow’s solutions, with a potential to create new business opportunities and revenue streams
• Inspire the industry to see new opportunities to contribute as problem-solvers
• Ideas and projects/solutions related to how the maritime industry can adapt a next-generation mindset and utilize new technologies, digital solutions and environmental innovations
• Participation through “Ocean Opportunity Talk” – pitch video of 2-10 minutes length